Devonshire born businessman Alfred Camp opened Camp’s Drapery Bazaar in Northbrook Street, in the heart of Newbury, in 1886.
The current business, Camp Hopson was formed in 1921 when Camp’s Drapery Bazaar merged with Joseph Hopson’s furniture business set up in 1854. This merger came about when Norah Camp (Alfred’s daughter) married Paul Hopson (1895 -1980 Joseph’s grandson) in 1920. The merger took place in 1921, with Alfred Camp as the first Chairman. Camp Hopson was acquired by Morleys Stores in 2014.
Alfred Camp was Mayor of Newbury in 1909 and 1910 and in this role he issued Coronation medals for the Coronation of George V and Queen Mary in June 1911.
Extracts from Alfred Camp’s Masonic career:
- Initiated into Hope Lodge 4th March 1898 and became Worshipful Master in 1908
- Founding Senior Warden of Victory Lodge No. 3954 in 1919
- Founding Immediate Past Master of Hungerford Lodge No. 4748 in 1925